Monday, September 22, 2014

Day 27 (9DPT) - Beta HCG blood test and consultation with Dr. Lee

We woke up early and arrived at the hospital at 7:10 am. After we arrived, we went to the blood test clinic on the 1F and used one of the machines to scan the barcode on the appointment slip. The machine assigned us a number and when it was my turn, I went to the counter to have my blood drawn. My heart was pretty heavy at this point as I was still spotting. We were done by 7:30 am. We then went and had breakfast at the nearby Starbucks. DH comforted me by saying that even if the blood test is a BFN, it is okay as it is illogical to fret over something we never had in the first place. He also said that all that mattered was "at least we tried". I was rather calm having come to terms with the fact that it may be a BFN. We went back to the clinic at 9:30 am. When it was my turn to see Dr. Lee, I was called and I noticed my bHCG result on the computer screen. It was a mere 4.8 miu/ml. Dr. Lee advised us of the bHCG test result and told us that it means I wasn't pregnant. To my surprise, I took it pretty well. No tears and not getting emotional at all. My voice was normal and steady. He then asked us when we will like to do an FET. He said he could do a DET as well however will still advise us against it and to have an SET instead. As mentioned earlier in my blog, Dr. Lee has a conservative approach. He advised us the risks of having twins in case both blastocysts implants and asked us to have patience in the IVF process. We have the patience just not the time to stay in Taipei for so long. We asked Dr. Lee to give us the weekend to think over things a bit and we will return for consultation the following Monday. Also I asked him if the FET will work as the remaining blasts were of a lower grade than the 4AA that was transferred this time. He smiled and said that grades are assigned by the embryologist however it doesn't mean that a grade BB blast will be unsuccessful . After that we left the hospital and went to have Teppanyaki :) I did shed some tears later that day but DH and everyone else was pretty supportive. It didn't matter anymore if it didn't work this time around. It doesn't mean the next time won't work!! Just as DH said we did our best and if it didn't work, it may not be our turn yet to be parents. This is not the end, it is just the beginning! =) All is not lost. I made a mental note to be extra good to myself cause I know that in this world, no one can care more about me than myself!




2 comments:

  1. Wow ! You brave girl :) I wish women going through IVF is as strong as you are. Yes, you did your best, well done. Please consider a SET, please ! :) Love you. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Manju. I think what made the difference was embarking on IVF mentally prepared that it may not succeed. Life's good, enjoy life without kids while it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete