Friday, September 12, 2014

Day 18 - Embryo Transfer

The 5-day embryo transfer was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. We arrived on time and was asked to wait in the waiting room. After about 20 minutes my name was called and Dr. Lee with an embryologist appeared and let us know the below grades of the embryos. We also signed paperwork to freeze the remaining 6 embryos. For information on embryo grading, please refer to the following link: http://www.advancedfertility.com/blastocystimages.htm

1 x 4AA
1 x 4BB
2 x 4CC
1 x 3BB
2 x EB (Early blastocyst)

Dr. Lee will be transferring one grade 4AA blastocyst to me. I was then led to the ET room. My husband was asked to stay behind. The ET process was painless, fast and smooth. I did feel some mild cramps during the process but that was it. I wasn't required to have a full bladder either. Dr. Lee doesn't provide a photo of the embryo as well as they think the embryos are sensitive to light and doesn't want to take the risk. When Dr. Lee was ready, the embryologist brought the embryo from the sliding door that I believe led to the lab and they timed the transfer. It was 15 seconds. I believe the maximum time allowed was 90 seconds. As I was coming down with a cold and sore throat, I asked if that would affect the implantation. I was told it will not affect however to not take any medications and drink lots of water and let the body heal on its own. After the transfer my husband was called to my side. I laid there for around 30 minutes before leaving. The instructions from Dr. Lee was to walk and take the stairs slowly, no jumping or stressful exercise. I can resume normal activities however no sauna and swimming to reduce risk of infection. Just to relax and take it slow and easy.

We then went to pay for the bill which was NT$39,714, approximately US$1,323 or CA$1,461. This includes the cost of everything that day (registration fee, Lab fees, ET fee, fee for freezing the 6 extra embryos for 1 year, supplies of Crinone for the next 9 days, blood test on day 27).

We then took a cab home where I rested for the rest of the day. I will return to the hospital for the BHCG blood test next Friday (Sep 19). I am trying to stay neutral but this is all getting very exciting. We are at the end of this first IVF treatment. Implantation is a big mystery. Wondering if I will have one sticky bean there. I try to brush away all negative thoughts. Hubby said I should think positive however I don't want to be positive and to be dealt a hard blow later. Good Lord, I pray for the best!


1 comment:

  1. What a great cycle you had ! Wow ! I am sure your doctor and clinic has done a great job :) Lots of good luck ! The prognosis seems to be very, very promising. Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete