Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Total cost of IVF in Taipei, Taiwan

Hello again!

I just wanted to summarize the total amount we spent on IVF at Mackay Memorial Hospital in Taipei, Taiwan.

Our total hospital cost comes to NT$107,247 which is approximately US$3,426  (based on today's FX: 1 NTD = 0.033 USD) or CA$3,937 (today's FX: 1 NTD = 0.04 CAD). Note: this does not include any travelling, food and accomodation costs).

The airfare cost CA$1,450*2 = CA$2,900.

Travelling by public transit is rather cheap when compared to Toronto (approximately 1/6th the cost of public transportation in Toronto). Taxi fares are rather cheap too (we had to take the taxi after ER and ET). We did not incur any accomodation costs as we stayed with DH parents. Food is very affordable in Taipei as well. The major expense were the drug and procedure (ER & ET) cost. The doctor consultations and ultrasounds are very cheap, approximately CA$15 per visit.

Overall, I had a perfect IVF cycle but just didn't get pregnant...haha...may be better luck next time?! :) I am thinking of my dad now who is capable of laughing at life's worst situations. He has such a positive personality, never failing to get up when he stumbles and falls. I think I am starting to live life as he does. Enjoying life's every moment because we never know when God will call. We live only once. Not sure if there is an after life and reincarnation. If there is, we don't know if we will be born again as humans. There are so many life forms on earth and the universe is so vast and infinite. Hard to believe there is no life beyond our galaxy! So let's not let life beat us down. We need to savor life's every moment and do the things that makes us happy (as long as it is moral and ethical).

Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. I love your posts Nio :) Keep them coming. Lots of love and hugs. I am very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My apologies as I accidentally deleted your comment below. In response, I'd like to say that we do have a back up plan i.e. to keep trying till I hit 39 and if we are unsuccessful, we are going to abort plans for children and save for early retirement. We love travelling and I'm sure every place we visit will give us a different perspective of life. Life's too short to be lived in misery. Thanks for sharing and stay blessed.

    Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Total cost of IVF in Taipei, Taiwan":

    Thanks for sharing your story. My wife and I got married late. We've gone through IVF without success also. We live in U.S. and I travel back to Taiwan for business quite often. I usually stay at Ambassador Hotel across from Mackay Memorial Hospital. I guess there are pros and cons to everything. My wife and I really enjoy our freedom and the extra time for travel. All my friends are pretty much tied down by kids and financial obligations. Kids costs lots of $ :-) We are in our late 40s and will retire early next year. Our next destination is a 45-day luxury cruise around the world. I thought if we have kids then we don't be able to do this and will likely have to work another 20 years. So quoting you, "we need to savor life's every moment and do the things that makes us happy". Best wishes to you and thanks again for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this useful information and ideas with all of us. Keep sharing more information in the future. This really helps to us. Surrogate Mother India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article..But sometime IVF is not without possible risks and complications…My wife donated eggs five and a half years ago and she now three stone heavier and still gaining even though she still very active.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your wife gets her Thyroid (TSH) checked. Unusual weight gain despite staying active and eating normally is more likely than not, caused by an underactive thyroid.

      Delete